Skip to main content

Goodbye, Grandpa

My earliest memories of you are a little vague...intermingled as they are between your first two houses, one in Aspirin Gardens and the other in West Mambalam. Memories of a model MiG plane, the drives to the beach in the Matador van, the same Russian slideshows that you showed us year after year after much begging and pleading on our behalf, your prized coin collection from which you invariably let us keep a coin or two each, the anecdotes about your interactions with Russians. In fact, despite later events, I guess I owe you, more than anyone else, my lifelong fascination for that country.

And then, there was the chess. So far as the rest of the family was concerned, you were the undisputed King of Chess. I cannot recall how often the phrase "Nobody plays chess like Balakrishnan thatha" would pop up in family circles. You knew the fact and were proud of it. I still recall your earliest lessons, where you meticulously showed me how the pieces moved and taught me to count the value of each piece, and repeatedly mentioned the golden rule of castling early. My favourite games with you where when, usually after beating me soundly in the first game, you would set up the pieces again but play without a Minister yourself. The result was usually the same but at least I could put up a fight in these games.

I can go and on about the good times that you showed me - the endless games of Canasta, your drawing me the same picture of an "aanai" decked in chains year after year, the walks to Panagal park and the long train rides to the Beach - but I guess these are memories every little kid should have. For every little kid, the relationship with his grandfather is special; an older person who somehow manages to bridge the vast age gap and become a kid himself, someone who can provide the comforts of an adult yet without being an authority figure.

But then times moved on and circumstances changed. We grew up and starting moving on the path to being independent adults ourselves, while you grew older, and with it started to lose your own sense of independence. I started noticing that troubled frown on your brow increasingly often, and it continued till your last day but through it all, you still ensured that you did not neglect your duties as a grandfather.

I guess it was tough. Your newest grandchildren were growing up in a world where kids didn't care about model MiG planes and slideshows any more. Instead, it was you who had to adapt to changing technology - from the omnipresent cellphone to the DVD to the Internet. And yet, somehow, you coped. I remember how thrilled you were when we gave you your first cellphone so you needn't walk down to the phone booth to make STD calls anymore. Although it did take us a while to get you off the habit of inserting your hearing aid in one ear and putting the phone next to the other! And I knew for sure you were doing alright when I saw you deeply involved in a game of chess with my youngest cousin...correcting his moves from time to time...although he had you scratching your head in despair a lot more often than I did!

And I guess life came full circle when my brother decided to marry a Russian. In a flash, you became the old 'Russian thatha' once again. You had always cribbed that you had forgotten all your Russian but somehow that didn't stop you from having long talks with K in her native tongue. And you were the star attraction at their wedding, by virtue of being the only person who could communicate fluently with K's parents. I can still see your smile as Mom sat you by K's dad so he wouldn't get too bored, and soon you guys were chattering away happily in Russian, ignoring all around you.

Our own relationship had continued on unscathed. The walks to the beach had ended and the Russian stories were taken up by others, but we took to talking about philosophy, spirituality and religion instead. I could not have been more proud when you told me you were releasing a book on the subject. I actually had a grandfather who was now a certified author! Wow!! And you, in return, appreciated my habit of blogging. As I write this now, I wonder what you would have thought of this post. About the number of corrections you'd probably have made! But I guess you'd have liked it...you always did like people saying good things about you! :)

I remember clearly our last chess game a few months ago. Things were more even between us now...you had lost some of your touch with age and lack of practice, and I had been honing my own game through computer programs for the sole purpose of beating you soundly for once. What a humdinger of a game it was! We both forgot about our own sides of the board and went all out attacking each other, we were both convinced we had the winning move at hand, and then I finally checkmated you exactly one move before your own checkmate. You looked at the board with surprise, scanned it in vain for an escape route, splat out your standard expletive of "Chah! Shaniyan" and then proceeded to lecture me on maintaining my defences! And then went in and told my uncle that I wasn't such a bad player, after all!

When I got the call a few days ago about your passing away, I kept waiting for the news to sink in, for it to hit me in the head, but somehow it never did, even later, throughout the funeral proceedings. And it still hasn't. But maybe its because the first thought that came to me when I put the phone down were the words you mentioned to me not so long ago "The only thing that's inevitable about life is death, and yet it’s about the only thing that we refuse to accept"

So I accept that your time had come. You had lived your life, and it was time for you to go. And I will not mourn your death.

But I do miss you. A lot.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very nice Kaushik. This is probably the first time I have seen you write something so personal in your blog. Very moving.
Pushuka said…
Beautiful post, dude. Simple, yet eloquent. Your grandpa would have been proud of you.
Shiva said…
This is my first ever blog.Strange. Kaushik was actually speaking about my father.I never knew the father he described.For me he was a completely different person. No I am not going to say what he meant to me.Not now.Later perhaps. Suffice it to say, that my thoughts would not have been so complimentary.My relationship with him was not really cordial.Strange, how we relate to people.And this actually reinforces my belief that just because someone is related to me, I dont have to love her /him.I must of course have shocked more than half the world. But for a moment, if you take duty out of a relationship, love would be so much more genuine.

Popular posts from this blog

School reunion

Ok, so lets first get the obvious out of the way. The blog has died. Not a pleasant state of affairs, I know. But then there are few things unpleasanter than a chance glance upon a once closely-clasped-to-your-bosom thingy revealing the last entry dated December 25, 2008. An accurate description of the state of affairs would be, I believe, forlorn and woebegone. So here then, is an attempt at resurrection. No clue, really, if it will work. Sometime in the past 373.25 days, I think I managed to lose the writing habit entirely. And in a little corner of my head lurks the fear that these things, once lost, don't really return. But I guess that's a matter beyond me. I'll do what I have to, and leave the rest in the capable hands of the Woman Upstairs. (been trying shed the male chauvinist part of the MCP image for some time now) One of the things I've been thinking about off late, is the meetings with the DAV gang. Going into flashback mode, I was one of those kids that com

Reflections on wheels

Riding is one of those things that I find naturally, instinctively appealing. It’s not so much something that defines you, but something that lives within you. The characteristics that define me as a biker are there, have always been there, I think, in me. The physical act is just something that opens the door to those parts of me. It lets me do what I want to do and be who I want to be. And yet, when in conversation someone refers to me as “a biker”, I find it vaguely distasteful. It immediately serves to brand me with a certain stereotype. A rebel perhaps, or a braggart, or a wannabe cool dude, and more often than not something of an oddity. None of which is true. Biking is no more an unnatural act than, for instance, gardening, and is no more rebellious than watching a play is rebellious. It’s not all about high-brow philosophy and Pirsiguesque thoughts, of course. I love all of the little things, starting from the envious little sideward glances I get from fellow commuters as the

Trip to Kundadri

A narrow winding road passing through lush green forests. The trees arch across overhead on either side to form a natural canopy, the ground below covered by twigs and fallen leaves. The silence broken only by the gentle patter of rain, the singing of a thousand crickets and the thump of a Bullet, the idyllic scenery broken only by glimpses of a fellow rider far ahead in the distance – There are few experiences more soothing to a man’s soul. The Bare Essentials Destination – Kundadri Betta, in the Shimoga district of Karnataka Daywise Breakup of the ride – Day 1: Bangalore – Tumkur – Arasikere – Shimoga – Thirtahalli Day 2: Thirtahalli – Kundadri Betta – Agumbe – Sringeri – Kuppalli – Koppa Day 3: Koppa – Chickmaglur – Kemmangundi – Birur – Tiptur – Tumkur – Bangalore Distance covered – Approx 1000 km Memories stored – Innumerable Day 1 - The Onward Ride The preparations started as with most other rides. Last minute tuning of the bike, calls and e-mails to one another discussing sp