Skip to main content

Death by music

For those few hours, I found myself trapped, both mentally and physically. The chair I was seated on, although comfortable enough, was not conducive to easy escape. The demi-darkness served to further alienate me…making the combined assault on my senses all the more unbearable.

I was in a living hell.

The only small comfort…I wasn’t alone in this nightmare. All around me, I perceived a struggling, squirming mass of humanity, all part of this confusion, all similarly trapped.

Ahead of us, covering a significant portion of a vast 70mm screen, lay the culprit - an image of a face, magnified so as to be larger than life, frighteningly close-up, each bristle of facial hair standing out in utmost clarity.

And then came the real terror…the sound. From the Dolby Surround Sound speakers came forth a somewhat baritone, mostly nasal and completely tuneless voice, shouting out the lyrics of a song with unbridled gusto…and the image in the screen zoomed back to show a shortish heavyset man, guitar in hand, breathlessly jumping up and down on the same spot, surrounded by swaying, adoring masses screaming “MonTY….MonTY..”

So there you have it. I was at Prasads, watching the Himesh Reshammiya flick, Karrzzzz.

Before you go on to read the rest of this post, heed this dire warning – if you value your life, and more so your sanity…stay away! (Umm...I mean from the film, not the post). For the love of God, stay away!! Go spend 3 hours sniffing the aromatic waters of Tank Bund and you’d be less traumatized.

Now I’ve always perceived Satish Kaushik as a somewhat irritating, rather loud slapstick comedian, but didn’t really know he was mentally imbalanced. I mean, why oh why would you take a timeless classic with an excellent musical score, and try and remake it with Himesh Reshammiya in the lead?? I mean, alright, Bollywood has had its share of stars who couldn’t act to save their lives, and I remember being similarly baffled by Karishma Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan at the start of their careers…but…and here’s the key point…none of them ever tried to drown their bad acting with terrible singing.

Not so with Himesh. He sings, and he sings, and just when you think it’s over and done with, he sings some more. Delights in belching out song after soulless song in an unending sequence, so that after a while the end of one song seems to coincide with the start of another, and the whole movie melts into one bewildering hodgepodge of unintelligible sound.

I mean…picture this…each time Monty does a concert, he starts to have flashbacks of his previous birth, and each time he does that, Himesh starts to sweat. And his face typically covers at least 30% of the screen at such moments, so while I’m frantically trying to squint and avert my gaze from the screen, I hear these horrified whispers of “He’s going to start singing now…I just know it. Oh shit oh shit…its going to start any moment now” and then we all mentally brace ourselves for the horrors to follow.

And then…suddenly…as I’m pulling my hair out and groaning in agony…I hear this simple, divine sound…one that floats down, grabs hold of me and pulls me out of the darkness. Its stark simplicity and haunting melody are in such contrast to the rest of the proceedings that you realize that music can, after all, be a divine gift. And in the few short seconds when the tune is played, my faith in humanity is reaffirmed and I find myself more able to withstand the rest of the movie…because atleast I now have something to cling to…a hope that the tune would be replayed sometime later. I’m talking, of course, of the original Karz tune…if ever there was a thing of beauty, that was it. And judging from the way it was hummed at the exits, it was evident that the only thing the audience cared to remember about the movie was this tune.

Which is a shame, really, because if only there had been someone else playing the lead, and someone with actual singing ability doing the songs, the movie would have been watchable. Of course, there were some silly bits involving Gulshan Grover which were completely unfathomable…I still have no clue who his character was, why he kept playing notes from an oversized tiffin-box type keyboard attached to a metal hand, or why, indeed, he was in the movie at all…but still, it would have been watchable. The only real saving grace in the film…and a big one at that…was Urmila Matondkar. Looked gorgeous, acted superb and played her role to perfection. Pity it had to be wasted on this farce.

But…at the end of it all…I do have one positive takeaway. I can live the rest of my life fearlessly, knowing that the sins of all my previous lives have finally been washed away by this movie experience :-)

Comments

Kalpana Behra said…
hahaha Can't wait to watch the movie! Going by the glimpses of the story I got from the victims, looks like Gulshan Grover is supposed to be Sir Judah from the original. The fact that I watched the original 2 days ago is making me all the more impatient to watch this and I will write a review for sure :) actually, I will watch the movie to write a review.
Pushuka said…
Why Himmmmmesh continues to inflict himself on unsuspecting masses is beyond me. There ought to be a law declaring him illegal or something.
katyakarthik said…
I couldn't have put it better - the kind of aversion I feel for Himesh R., so thanks for taking this load off my heart and spelling it out so precisely and accurately! I really feel better about the whole thing now :)
Kaushik said…
[Kalpana]: Yes, GG's character is called Sir Judah, but that still leaves most of my questions unanswered ;) Best of luck surviving the film!!

[Pushuka]: ROFL :)) That comment was funnier than my entire post! I couldn't agree more.

[Katya]: Anytime! Just felt I needed to atone in some way for watching the movie :)
swathi's said…
awwwwww.u surely wrote it in an impressive way...u do have a future as a film critic..i bet...keep posting

Popular posts from this blog

School reunion

Ok, so lets first get the obvious out of the way. The blog has died. Not a pleasant state of affairs, I know. But then there are few things unpleasanter than a chance glance upon a once closely-clasped-to-your-bosom thingy revealing the last entry dated December 25, 2008. An accurate description of the state of affairs would be, I believe, forlorn and woebegone. So here then, is an attempt at resurrection. No clue, really, if it will work. Sometime in the past 373.25 days, I think I managed to lose the writing habit entirely. And in a little corner of my head lurks the fear that these things, once lost, don't really return. But I guess that's a matter beyond me. I'll do what I have to, and leave the rest in the capable hands of the Woman Upstairs. (been trying shed the male chauvinist part of the MCP image for some time now) One of the things I've been thinking about off late, is the meetings with the DAV gang. Going into flashback mode, I was one of those kids that com

Reflections on wheels

Riding is one of those things that I find naturally, instinctively appealing. It’s not so much something that defines you, but something that lives within you. The characteristics that define me as a biker are there, have always been there, I think, in me. The physical act is just something that opens the door to those parts of me. It lets me do what I want to do and be who I want to be. And yet, when in conversation someone refers to me as “a biker”, I find it vaguely distasteful. It immediately serves to brand me with a certain stereotype. A rebel perhaps, or a braggart, or a wannabe cool dude, and more often than not something of an oddity. None of which is true. Biking is no more an unnatural act than, for instance, gardening, and is no more rebellious than watching a play is rebellious. It’s not all about high-brow philosophy and Pirsiguesque thoughts, of course. I love all of the little things, starting from the envious little sideward glances I get from fellow commuters as the

Trip to Kundadri

A narrow winding road passing through lush green forests. The trees arch across overhead on either side to form a natural canopy, the ground below covered by twigs and fallen leaves. The silence broken only by the gentle patter of rain, the singing of a thousand crickets and the thump of a Bullet, the idyllic scenery broken only by glimpses of a fellow rider far ahead in the distance – There are few experiences more soothing to a man’s soul. The Bare Essentials Destination – Kundadri Betta, in the Shimoga district of Karnataka Daywise Breakup of the ride – Day 1: Bangalore – Tumkur – Arasikere – Shimoga – Thirtahalli Day 2: Thirtahalli – Kundadri Betta – Agumbe – Sringeri – Kuppalli – Koppa Day 3: Koppa – Chickmaglur – Kemmangundi – Birur – Tiptur – Tumkur – Bangalore Distance covered – Approx 1000 km Memories stored – Innumerable Day 1 - The Onward Ride The preparations started as with most other rides. Last minute tuning of the bike, calls and e-mails to one another discussing sp