Skip to main content

The Laya Project

I had the opportunity to listen to a music CD of 'The Laya Project' a few weeks ago. I had never heard of it before, but was in the mood to try something different and this was highly recommended by a friend. No sooner than I heard the music I knew I HAD to watch the film, and no sooner than the first few reels were down, I knew I HAD to attempt a review :) So here goes!

Its hard to pin the Laya project down to a stereotype. Its an unconventional film, much more than a music video and not quite a regular documentary. For a film marketed as being shot on the shores of six nations affected by the tsunami, the approach it takes is surprisingly different. You naturally expect it to highlight the grim realities of life...scenes of devastation, gritty tales of hardships and survival against the odds. But what you get instead is the raw beauty of nature. Gorgeous landscapes, glorious sunsets, rolling mists and brilliantly hued skies. And music. Melodious, haunting and earthy, it seems to flow through the people and the landscapes. The end effect is sublime.

The central theme of the film appears to be the relationship between man and nature. An unsaid tenet seems to be the double-edged nature of this relationship; the people who live most in harmony with nature are the ones most directly affected by its fury. What I liked was that none of this was spoken, it was all conveyed through the wonderful imagery - glimpses of nature and images of people seemingly expressionless, but whose eyes and faces speak volumes. What you soon realize is that this is not a documentary in the traditional sense; there's no concrete storyline, little narration and no obvious message, instead it relies on the images and music to tell a story all by themselves. The scene, early on, of a ramshackle straw hut lashed by wind and rain with a fire burning bravely indoors, and a group of youths playing a game of football in blissful oblivion of the pouring rain, is moving beyond words. As are, as described earlier, the visages of the people, their shy smiles, lined faces and unspoken words.

So, while at the start you can't help wondering if the tsunami angle is nothing more than a gimmick to visit off-beat locales to film and record the music of the 'natives', the film gradually brings you to the subtle realization that there's more to it than that. The film, in a way that I feel strongly but can't clearly describe, is about the spirit of man. That spirit is somehow enmeshed in the beauty of the culture, the fragility of the lifestyle, the songs that pay homage to nature, and the knowledge that all of this continues despite the tsunami.

The most striking aspect of the film, however, is the seamless fusion between the music and the imagery. There's no concept of 'background' here, the two entities meld together like they were always meant to be one. The music, as mentioned earlier, seems to flow through the images and bind them all together. And because of this amalgamation, you get a clear demonstration of what 'folk music' is all about - music that's inspired by nature and lifestyle. The best scenes are when this music is recorded right in the surroundings where it originated, for instance the 'Katalu Talu' recording that just breathes ethnicity and 'Buduburru', recorded on the fringes of a coconut plantation.

So if you're something of a genuine music aficionado, or a fan of off-beat films, or even like nature or ethnicity, you will not regret watching/listening to the Laya Project. I'll even wager that it'll end up occupying pride of place in your collection!

P.S: I'm not a marketing agent of, or in any way connected to the project :) In fact, in the interests of honesty, current circumstances compelled me to download it off the Internet! Not something I'm proud of, but I couldn't pass up the chance to watch it at the earliest. Will redeem myself by purchasing the DVD+CD box set at the first opportunity.

Comments

Kalpana Behra said…
I want to buy a set too. After reading this, I want to watch it right now!
EarthSync said…
Thanks for this! We are honoured.
Anonymous said…
hmmm.. nice piece of writing. cheers. i wish i could watch it too.
ahmedabadonnet said…
Liked the post...
ahmedabadonnet.com
Anonymous said…
Mindblowing…………..
bangalorewithlove.com

Popular posts from this blog

School reunion

Ok, so lets first get the obvious out of the way. The blog has died. Not a pleasant state of affairs, I know. But then there are few things unpleasanter than a chance glance upon a once closely-clasped-to-your-bosom thingy revealing the last entry dated December 25, 2008. An accurate description of the state of affairs would be, I believe, forlorn and woebegone. So here then, is an attempt at resurrection. No clue, really, if it will work. Sometime in the past 373.25 days, I think I managed to lose the writing habit entirely. And in a little corner of my head lurks the fear that these things, once lost, don't really return. But I guess that's a matter beyond me. I'll do what I have to, and leave the rest in the capable hands of the Woman Upstairs. (been trying shed the male chauvinist part of the MCP image for some time now) One of the things I've been thinking about off late, is the meetings with the DAV gang. Going into flashback mode, I was one of those kids that com

Reflections on wheels

Riding is one of those things that I find naturally, instinctively appealing. It’s not so much something that defines you, but something that lives within you. The characteristics that define me as a biker are there, have always been there, I think, in me. The physical act is just something that opens the door to those parts of me. It lets me do what I want to do and be who I want to be. And yet, when in conversation someone refers to me as “a biker”, I find it vaguely distasteful. It immediately serves to brand me with a certain stereotype. A rebel perhaps, or a braggart, or a wannabe cool dude, and more often than not something of an oddity. None of which is true. Biking is no more an unnatural act than, for instance, gardening, and is no more rebellious than watching a play is rebellious. It’s not all about high-brow philosophy and Pirsiguesque thoughts, of course. I love all of the little things, starting from the envious little sideward glances I get from fellow commuters as the

Trip to Kundadri

A narrow winding road passing through lush green forests. The trees arch across overhead on either side to form a natural canopy, the ground below covered by twigs and fallen leaves. The silence broken only by the gentle patter of rain, the singing of a thousand crickets and the thump of a Bullet, the idyllic scenery broken only by glimpses of a fellow rider far ahead in the distance – There are few experiences more soothing to a man’s soul. The Bare Essentials Destination – Kundadri Betta, in the Shimoga district of Karnataka Daywise Breakup of the ride – Day 1: Bangalore – Tumkur – Arasikere – Shimoga – Thirtahalli Day 2: Thirtahalli – Kundadri Betta – Agumbe – Sringeri – Kuppalli – Koppa Day 3: Koppa – Chickmaglur – Kemmangundi – Birur – Tiptur – Tumkur – Bangalore Distance covered – Approx 1000 km Memories stored – Innumerable Day 1 - The Onward Ride The preparations started as with most other rides. Last minute tuning of the bike, calls and e-mails to one another discussing sp